Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Bonjour!

No pictures to post today.   Just some routine day to day type things happened today.  But, alas, in Belgium....nothing is routine.   Got up early to get over to the town hall to meet with the relocation agent to get me our town ID cards.  You have to have your French speaking agent with you because they are not allowed to speak anything but French in the Town Offices.  So Randy says on his way out the door (he's traveling to Stockholm), "do you have the id photos?"   Uh oh!  So I look up to see when the Carrefour opens..8:30, email the relocation agent arrange to meet at 9:15, get to Carrefour to find that the photo shop does not open until 9:30!  I don't have a cell phone yet so I can't contact the relocation person so I go to the town hall, wait for 40 minutes, she gets there and she suggests we start the paperwork and get the pictures afterward and bring them back to the town hall.   This plan works fine.


After lunch I head over to a mobile phone store to get a phone.  This is in Waterloo which is a very busy town with a lot of shops of every sort; big, small, chain stores, mom & pop shops, etc.  So the purchase of the phone goes rather smoothly.  The salesman spoke English fairly well.  I get home and now I realize that I have absolutely no indication on the phone, on the box, on the paperwork as to what my phone number is!   I sent a text to Randy and finally he told me my mobile number.


Like I said, nothing is routine in Belgium!  But things work out in the end, it's just a round-about way to get the end result.


After dinner the boys and I (and the dogs) went for a really great walk.  We walked down this road which is really just one car width but it is a two way street.  Lots of woods and unique houses tucked away in the hills.  At the end of the tiny road we turned onto a cobblestone road which brought us up to the main drag and back to our little street.  It was a great walk with a real feel for the French influenced countryside of Belgium. 


So that was my day...lots of chores just like at home!  Ending the day with a nice bowl of fresh strawberries bought at a roadside stand.  Okay....full disclosure.....I put those delicious strawberries on top of a bowl of decadent dark chocolate ice cream!  



4 comments:

  1. Ooh fresh strawberries!!! Was the ice cream made from Belgium chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the smooth move! Glad everything went well and you are all together. Got your card in the mail. This is a great way to document your time in Belgium and keep everyone up to date. Hi to Randy and the boys!
    Maura and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update post. Seems so exciting from back on this side of the pond. Have you been taking photos? Would love to see your surroundings. Hugs to all of your boys.
    Brenda and Carlton

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take some photos of the house and the garden. As well as some pictures of the neighborhood. I think tomorrow is supposed to be rainy - we'll see what it's like. We might take a day trip on Sunday to Bruge.

    ReplyDelete