Thursday, October 11, 2012

LEUVEN

I did some exploring on my own today.  It was a nice sunny day and I didn't have any chores to do so I got in the car, wearing a light jacket and the obligatory European scarf wrapped around my neck, and drove to Leuven which is a large town about 35 minutes from here.  I guess they refer to it as a University Town.  Leuven University is there which is quite large so the student population is huge.  I remembered speaking to a woman that I met at the American Women's Club of Brussels who lives in this area and she had said you have to be very careful of the bicyclists.  They have the right-of-way no matter what and they don't look....they just go.  I was glad to have had that piece of advise ahead of my visit.  


TOWN HALL BUILDING

ST. PETER'S CATHEDRAL

DON'T ASK.....I HAVE NO IDEA;
(BUT I DID WONDER IF IT WAS LEUVEN'S ANSWER TO THE
MANNEKIN DE PIS IN BRUSSELS?!?)






INSIDE ST. PETER'S









ST. PETER'S CATHEDRAL WAS ORIGINALLY CONSTRUCTED BACK IN THE 1500s.  THERE WAS MUCH DAMAGED CAUSED DURING THE FRENCH REVOLUTION.  THEN A CENTURY LATER MORE DAMAGE DONE DURING WW1 WHEN A FIRE CAUSED A LOT OF DAMAGE AND AGAIN IN WW2 WHEN THE ROOF COLLAPSED DURING BOMBING RAIDS.  PART OF THE CHURCH IS USED AS A MUSEUM BUT IT LOOKS LIKE HALF OF IT IS STILL USED AS A CHURCH TODAY. 






THIS PLACE MUST BE HOPPIN' ON SATURDAY NIGHT (OR MAYBE ANY NIGHT) KNOWING THE LARGE COLLEGE POPULATION






No comments:

Post a Comment