Thursday, September 6, 2012

HERGE MUSEUM

It's been a while but I've been plenty busy.   I spent about 10 days back in the States getting Brian off to college.   He's settling into school and so far he is feeling good about his college experience.  It was nice to be back in the States, though.   Caught up with friends and family.   I also bought some things that I can't get here in Belgium and shipped them.   The two main items that I can't seem to find here is Pancake Mix and Breadcrumbs.  Now living here in the land of crepes I can understand that no one would care for good old American Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix but I don't understand how you can't get breadcrumbs.  There's all this delicious fresh bread everywhere you turn and no crumbs?   I guess people make their own at home.  Old habits are hard to break - I like my box pancakes and my Progresso breadcrumbs!  

Mark has also settled into his new school.  St. John's International School.  He's enjoying it so far.   Especially the open campus policy so he can get lunch with his buddies at the deli down the street from the school.  He's met kids from the U.s., Sweden, Germany and Norway.  

So I took a ride today to the town Louvain du Neuve.  This is the home of the Herge Museum which tells the story of the creator of the TinTin cartoons.  I never even heard of TinTin until this past year when the movie was released.  So it was quite interesting.  

THE MUSEUM IS THE WHITE BUILDING IN THE BACK.  ALL THIS CONSTRUCTION IS FOR THE UNIVERSITY.  MASSIVE CONSTRUCTION.

COULDN'T TAKE PICTURES OF THE EXHIBITS SO THESE ARE JUST OF THE LOBBY AREA


THE STAR OF THE SHOW....TINTIN
The area where the museum is located was heavily populated with young people.  At first I couldn't figure out why this area was such a hot spot for twentysomethings.   Then as I was walking back to the parking garage, I noticed a sign "Universite de Louvain".  So this makes sense now.  

PART OF THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUVAIN CAMPUS.  MARK IS ACTUALLY GOING HERE NEXT WEEK WITH HIS HIGH SCHOOL FOR A TEAM BUILDING EXERCISE.  SHOULD BE FUN!

BACK ROADS ON THE WAY TO THE MUSEUM;   THIS IS THE OUTSKIRTS OF WATERLOO.  I THOUGHT THE SKY LOOKED SO GREAT TODAY.


THERE ARE A LOT OF ROADS LIKE THIS IN THIS AREA OF BELGIUM.  AND ABOUT 60% OF THEM ARE COBBLESTONE.  MOST OF THE ROADS ARE ONE LANE WIDE SO WHOEVER IS NEARER TO A PULL-OFF TAKES THE INITIATIVE AND LETS THE OTHER PERSON PASS.  QUITE CIVILIZED ACTUALLY!



No comments:

Post a Comment